The 4J Parent Leaders Network is a volunteer network connecting parent organization leaders for mutual support. Our first meeting this year will take place at the District Office at 200 North Monroe Street on Monday, December 2 at 6:30-8:00 p.m, immediately following the Coffee with 4J Superintendent and Board Member event (5:30-6:30 p.m.)
Our agenda is as follows:
(1) Welcome, Introductions
(2) 2019-2020 School Year Plans for 4J – Dr. Gustavo Balderas, Superintendent
(3) Student Success Act – Dr. Charis McGaughy, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction and Kerry Delf, Chief of Staff
Please RSVP at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48acac2fa3f85-4jparent4
The 4J Parent Leaders Network is a volunteer network connecting parent organization leaders for mutual support. We meet at the District Office at 200 North Monroe Street. Our meeting space and refreshments are provided by Eugene School District 4J. This year’s meetings will be convened by Joy Marshall (Stand for Children), Heather Sielicki (Roosevelt Middle Parent) and Rita Gillihan (Yujin Gakuen/North Eugene Parent).
- Monday, December 2 at 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 10 at 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 13 at 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- Monday, June 1 @ 6:00-7:30 p.m.
The 4J Parent Leaders Network is a volunteer network connecting parent organization leaders for mutual support. We meet at the District Office at 200 North Monroe Street. Our meeting space and refreshments are provided by Eugene School District 4J.
This year’s meetings will be convened by Heather Sielicki and Rita Gillihan on 10/1, 12/3, 2/4, and 4/15 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. RSVPs are requested.
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule
- October 1st: Back to school; policies and procedures that apply to parent groups, working with the Eugene Education Foundation, and communication best practices. Click here to RSVP.
- December 3rd: Understanding K-12 Funding in Oregon 101; working with the School Board, programs and ideas for raising additional funds for your school community. Click here to RSVP.
- February 4th: Community involvement; best practices to support the involvement of parents and families in the education of their children, how to get your neighborhood connected with your school. Click here to RSVP.
- April 15: Advocacy; enhance your ability to impact educational opportunities and social change, mobilize volunteers and recruit future parent leaders. Click here to RSVP.
At the April 30 Parent Leaders meeting, we completed a Organization Development Needs Assessment survey for our group to determine the type of training and organizational development activities we are most interested in accessing during the 2018-2019 school year.
After evaluating the results, the topics that were of highest interest were
- School improvement,
- Energizers, warm-ups and ice breakers,
- Group agreements and norms, and
Some of the specific skills we wanted to build included increasing diversity/inclusivity in our parent groups, volunteer recruitment, supporting transitions (betwen elementary/middle/high), 4J policies and procedures, and fundraising.
Moving forward, Heather Sielicki and Rita Gillihan will meet with Brooke Wagner to schedule dates for next year.
Our meetings for the 2017-2018 school year will take place at the District Office at 200 North Monroe Street. Take away tools will be provided.
Monday, October 30, 2017 – 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, January 29, 2018 – 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, April 30, 2018 – 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Each meeting will include a 40-minute training topic and a 20-minute information presentation from Superintendent Dr. Gustavo Balderas, Elementary Director Brooke Wagner, and Secondary Director BJ Blake. The meetings will be convened by Heather Sielicki (parent volunteer) with facilitation by Josh Reckord (retired educator).
Skill Building Workshops
In addition the these meetings, three skill building workshops are planned:
- Making Meetings Matter: Learn what elements contribute to meetings that “click”–where everyone feels good about what was accomplished.
- Difficult Conversations in Schools: Develop the confidence and strategies to deliver meaningful and constructive feedback.
- PTO Meeting Conference Calls: Learn how call-in and video-call options can transform your meeting attendance.
Join our email list for updates, meeting agendas and reminders.
Join us at the District Office Auditorium for the final of four district wide parent leaders meetings. Each meeting includes a 40-minute training topic and a 20-minute information presentation from District leaders.
At the May meeting, retired educators Josh Reckord and Bill Kentta will share best practice techniques to use when planning and engaging in difficult conversations. Carrying out such conversations in a careful, considered and effective manner leads to better outcomes for students, stronger interpersonal relationships, and joint ownership over problems and solutions.
Superintendent Dr. Gustavo Balderas, Elementary Director Brooke Wagner, and Secondary Director BJ Blake will present an update on school improvement bond options and answer questions from the audience.
We will close the meeting with some visioning for supporting the school PTOs next year.
Quarterly 4J Parent Leaders Network Meeting Agenda
When: Tuesday, May 23rd, 6:30-8:30pm
Where: 200 Monroe Street, Eugene, OR Get Directions
6:30: Intro/Warm Up
6:45: Difficult Conversations in Schools
7:25: Eugene School District 4J School Inprovement Bond
7:45: 4J Parent Leaders Next Steps